The Valpo bowling team kicked off its final tournament of the regular season on Friday, picking up a pair of wins on the first day of the Vanderbilt Music City Classic in Smyrna, Tenn.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the tournament on a winning note, emerging with an 876-840 victory over LIU in the five-game baker format.
- The Beacons dropped a narrow 868-857 decision to Marian in the second match of the day.
- The third match slot brought another victory for Valpo, as the Beacons defeated Emmanuel, 974-935.
- A pair of top-10 opponents awaited Valpo in the final two matches of the day. The Beacons fell 992-881 to #5 Stephen F. Austin and then came up just one pin short of taking down #7 North Carolina A&T, falling 871-870.
- Valpo ended the day in 19th place in the 30-team field, accumulating 4,458 total pins over Friday’s five matches.
Valpo (43-53) continues action from Smyrna on Saturday at 9:30 a.m., as the team competes in a quintet of traditional team matches.