The Valpo bowling team sits in 11th place after two days of action at the Bearcat Open, hosted by McKendree University in Fairview Heights, Ill.
How It Happened – Friday
- Valpo opened the tournament on Friday bowling against a pacer team from Belmont Abbey, in a match which didn’t count in the win/loss standings. Valpo posted a 919 in the five-game baker format in the opener, which turned out to be the team’s best match of the day.
- Valpo’s first official match was a victory, as it earned an 846-698 win over Dominican.
- That would be Valpo’s lone win on the opening day of action, however, as it dropped its final three matches of the day – 976-755 to #12 Central Missouri, 953-915 to Lewis and 896-866 to Upper Iowa.
How It Happened – Saturday
- Valpo opened the day against #19 UAB, but fell 1013-927 despite games of 211 from freshman Alexis Roof (Flint, Mich./Kearsley) and 208 from senior Morgan Peacha (Henderson, Nev./Foothill).
- Peacha cracked 200 for the second straight match with a 206 in Valpo’s second match, but it wouldn’t be enough as the Brown and Gold suffered a narrow 904-894 defeat against Kentucky Wesleyan.
- Junior Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) rolled Valpo’s top individual game of the day with a 212 in a 912-885 loss to Saint Francis (N.Y.).
- Valpo earned its lone win in the traditional team format on Saturday against #18 Maryville, earning an 876-806 victory behind a team-best 185 from senior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton).
- In the final match of the day, Valpo fell to host #2 McKendree, 1036-867. Junior Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) led the way in that match with a 192.
- Peacha posted Valpo’s top individual average in Saturday’s action, recording a 187.4 over the five matches.
- Overall through two days of competition, Valpo tallied 8,750 pins, good for 11th
Valpo (3-19) closes the tournament with bracket play on Sunday morning. The Brown and Gold open Sunday’s action against Upper Iowa.