The Valpo bowling team posted two of the top-10 scores in program history in five-game baker matches, along the way setting a program record for single-match margin of victory in one of those efforts, as it began the inaugural Stormin’ Blue and White Classic in Las Vegas on Friday.
How It Happened
- Coming off of a two-month hiatus from competition for the holidays, Valpo was thrown right into the fire with its opening match of the tournament, facing #3 Nebraska and dropping an 1102-992 decision.
- Valpo suffered back-to-back losses to start Friday’s competition, as it fell 873-856 to Saint Francis (Pa.) in its second match of the day.
- Valpo bounced back in a big way in its third match, however, rolling to a 1043-596 victory over Grambling State. The 208.6 average for the five games ranks ninth in program history for a five-game baker match, while the 447-pin margin of victory is easily a program record, far surpassing the previous mark of 303 set earlier this season.
- Valpo carried the momentum from the record-setting win into a 952-900 victory over #14 Delaware State in the fourth match slot of the day.
- The Brown and Gold actually posted their top score of the day in the finale, but had an unfortunate draw in the match slot, losing 1141-1081 to #15 Maryville. Valpo’s 216.2 average over the five matches versus Maryville ranks fourth in program history for a five-game baker match.
- Valpo closed the opening day of competition in eighth place out of 13 teams in the pinfall standings, just 25 pins out of seventh position.
Valpo (27-28) continues action from Las Vegas on Saturday with a set of five traditional team matches. Bowling begins at 11:55 a.m. CT, and all the action can be seen on a live pay stream via FloBowling.