The #19 Valpo bowling team began its final tournament of the regular season on Friday with five-game baker team matches at the Music City Classic in Smyrna, Tenn., hosted by Vanderbilt. Valpo ended the first day of competition — which saw it bowl all five matches against fellow nationally-ranked programs — in 13th place.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the tournament against #9 Maryville, falling 913-889, and then dropped a 971-926 decision to #22 Central Missouri.
- The Brown and Gold bounced back to earn a victory in the third match slot of the day, taking down #16 Alabama State by a 912-888 final.
- Another close match against a top-10 team ensued, with Valpo coming out on the wrong end of a 928-898 final against #4 Nebraska.
- The day ended for the Brown and Gold with a 1008-880 loss to #24 UW-Whitewater.
- Valpo finished day one with a pinfall of 4,505 pins to sit in 13th place in the 19-team field, one spot ahead of host #2 Vanderbilt. Valpo is just 17 pins out of 12th position and is within 80 pins of ninth place.
- For the second straight tournament, Valpo is part of a loaded tournament field, as this weekend’s field features seven of the nation’s top-10 teams in the latest NTCA poll, while 15 of the 19 participating programs are ranked among the top-25 in the nation.
Valpo (28-35) continues play at the Music City Classic with traditional team matches on Saturday beginning at 9:30 a.m.