The Valpo bowling team kicked off the 2021-22 season on Friday with the first of three days of action from the MOTIV Penguin Classic, hosted by Youngstown State in Struthers, Ohio. The Beacons posted a 3-2 record on the first day of competition.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Friday’s action, which consisted of five five-game baker matches, against St. Francis (Pa.) and easily rolled to a victory in the opener, prevailing 919-764. It was Valpo’s first win in a season-opening match since 2017-18.
- The Beacons made it two straight to kick off the season with a 948-778 win over Walsh in the next match slot.
- Valpo took its first loss of the season in the third match of the day, falling to host #7 Youngstown State, 940-859.
- The Beacons rebounded from the defeat with their best effort on Friday, earning a 989-956 victory over Medaille.
- The day ended against one of the nation’s top teams, as Valpo dropped a 958-877 decision to #3 Arkansas State.
- In the team standings, Valpo sits sixth out of 10 competing teams at the close of Friday’s action with 4,592 total pins — just 76 pins out of fifth place.
- Valpo was listed among the teams also receiving votes as the NTCA released its preseason top-25 poll Friday morning.
Valpo (3-2) continues the season-opening tournament on Saturday. The set of five traditional team matches begins at 8 a.m. CT.