|Stats at a Glance||GSU||VALPO|
|FG Percentage||.410 (16-39)||.529 (27-51)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (4-13)||.542 (13-24)|
|FT Percentage||.720 (18-25)||.857 (18-21)|
- 18||VAN WIJK
BAYNHAM - 7
REED - 2
PERNELL - 2
FERGUSON - 2
FERGUSON - 1
Thursday, November 08, 2012
Valparaiso (0-0, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #1: Friday, Nov. 9 - 7:30 p.m.
Georgia Southern (0-0, 0-0 SoCon)
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000)
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso opens the 2012-2013 regular season at home Friday night against Georgia Southern at 7:30 p.m., the back end of a doubleheader with the Crusader women’s team. Fans are encouraged to wear white to help “White Out” the ARC on Friday evening.
Last Time Out: Valparaiso used a 20-3 run to start the second half to defeat Robert Morris (Ill.), which entered the game ranked fourth in the nation among NAIA schools, by a final of 92-64 last Saturday evening at the ARC in exhibition action. The game was the second of Valpo's two exhibition contests. Bobby Capobianco paced the Crusaders with 21 points and eight rebounds.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Travis Lucian (Color) on the call
Video - Horizon League Network
Links for the audio and video, as well as live stats, will be available at valpoathletics.com. In addition, valpogameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and interactive chat, all on the same page.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: The Crusaders and Eagles have met just twice in program history, but both meetings have come in the last three years, both at Georgia Southern, and both with Valpo coming out victorious. Last season, Valpo earned a 90-81 win over the Eagles on Nov. 11, placing five scorers in double figures. Ryan Broekhoff led the way with a double-double of 22 points and 13 rebounds.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
- It is the first appearance in the @AP_Top25 also receiving votes for @ValpoBasketball since March of 2002 (5 points).
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball starts the season 21 st in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at @CanesHoops in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
...in the exhibitions
- @ValpoBasketball won both its exhibition games by 28 points, defeating @sjc_athletics and @RMUEagles.
- The Crusaders led by double figures for the last 30 minutes in the win over @sjc_athletics.
- Valpo shot 55% from the floor, 40% from the 3-point line and 95% from the free throw line against the Pumas.
- In its second exhibition, @ValpoBasketball led by just two at the half against @RMUEagles, ranked fourth in the nation in NAIA.
- The Crusaders started the second half on a 20-3 run to pull away from the Eagles.
- @ValpoBasketball shot 66.7% from inside the arc (28-of-42) in the win over Robert Morris and hit 27-of-34 (79.4%) from the foul line.
- @ValpoBasketball will take part in the @ESPNCBB Tip-Off Marathon on Tuesday, Nov. 13, hosting @NIUAthletics at the ARC at 7 a.m.
- This marks the first appearance for @ValpoBasketball on the @ESPNCBB Tip-Off Marathon.
- The game will be broadcast live on ESPN, the Crusaders’ second game on the mothership over their last three home games.
...at the ARC
- @ValpoBasketball has 16 regular season home games scheduled for the ARC in 2012-13. #ValpoGameday
- The Crusaders matched a program record for home victories last season, going 14-3 at the ARC.
- Over the last 18 years, @ValpoBasketball owns a 207-48 (.812) record on its home court.
...in home openers
- @ValpoBasketball has won its home opener in each of the last seven seasons, all by double digits. #ValpoGameday
- Last season, the Crusaders won 88-38 over Holy Cross (Ind.) in their home opener.
- The last time @ValpoBasketball lost a home opener was Nov. 27, 2004, falling to @Charlotte49ers by a 85-71 final.
- The Crusaders are playing Georgia Southern for the third time in the last four seasons, with @ValpoBasketball owning a 2-0 series lead.
- @GSAthletics did not play an exhibition game, opting to play a pair of closed scrimmages instead.
- Georgia Southern is led by junior Eric Ferguson, a first team @SoConSports selection a season ago.
- Ferguson led the Eagles, averaging 15.4 ppg and 7.2 rpg in 2011-12.
- @GSAthletics also gains the services of guard C.J. Reed, the @MEAC1970 Player of the Year in 2010-11.
- Bryce Drew is entering his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first @ValpoBasketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the @NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three @NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 @NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead @ValpoBasketball from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of @ValpoBasketball for the last 24 years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 413 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 839 collegiate victories over a combined 43 seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff posted 16 points on 5-of-7 shooting in the @ValpoBasketball exhibition win over St. Joseph’s.
- Broekhoff tallied 15 points and seven rebounds in the Crusaders’ exhibition win against Robert Morris.
- Broekhoff enters his senior year 13th in @ValpoBasketball history in rebounds (601), 8th in blocked shots (73) and 7th in 3-pointers (169).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year is sixth-highest in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Broekhoff reached double figures in scoring in all but five games and scored at least 20 points on six occasions.
- Broekhoff tallied a team-best 12 double-doubles, all of the scoring/rebounding variety.
- Broekhoff was named MVP of the Valparaiso subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- After sitting out the first exhbition, Van Wijk scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds in just 15 minutes in the win over Robert Morris.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk scored at least 20 points in six games and posted a pair of double-doubles.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Van Wijk was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Valparaiso Subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Buggs enters his final season with @ValpoBasketball 12th in Crusader history with 300 career assists.
- Buggs posted five assists apiece in each of the Crusaders’ two exhibition victories.
- Buggs also registered 14 points (on 6-of-7 shooting) and four steals in the second exhibition win over Robert Morris.
- Buggs led @ValpoBasketball last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Buggs hit buzzer-beating coast-to-coast layup, giving Crusaders the win at @detroittitans Jan. 6, a play which was nominated for #SCTop10.
- Kenney enters his senior season ranked 18th in @ValpoBasketball history with 231 career assists.
- Kenney scored 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting in 22 minutes off the bench in the exhbition win over St. Joe’s.
- Kenney was in the starting lineup for the exhibtion win over Robert Morris, scoring nine points.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney paced @ValpoBasketball with 27 blocks last season and also finished third on the team with 35 steals.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan scored nine points in the exhibition win over St. Joe’s and added five points in the exhibition win against Robert Morris.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at @detroittitans Jan. 6.
- Boggs hit three 3-pointers en route to 12 points and five rebounds in just 17 minutes in opening exhibition win over St. Joe’s.
- Boggs sat out the second exhibition game against Robert Morris.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with @ValpoBasketball, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco also grabbed eight rebounds in each exhibition game, leading the Crusaders in the win over Robert Morris.
- Capobianco combined to shoot 13-for-20 from inside the arc and 11-for-12 from the free throw line in the two exhibitions.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Fernandez scored eight points and led @ValpoBasketball with ten rebounds in the exhibition win over St. Joe’s.
- Fernandez posted seven points, six rebounds and three blocked shots in the Crusaders’ exhibition win against Robert Morris.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Coleman scored seven points in each of the Crusaders’ two exhibition wins and also pulled down seven rebounds against Robert Morris.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for @ValpoBasketball over St. Joe’s.
|Copyright ©2014 Valparaiso University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ValpoAthletics.com|