The Valparaiso University men’s golf team played the final 18 holes of the season’s first meet at Savannah Harbor Golf Course in Savannah, Ga. on Tuesday. Peter Webb (Madison, Wis. / James Madison Memorial) had the best Round 3 of any Crusader, while Nick Seitz (Xenia, Ohio / Carroll) garnered Valpo’s top finish in the event.
How It Happened
- Webb trimmed five strokes off his Round 2 performance on Tuesday, finishing Round 3 with a 74. That score allowed him to finish in a tie for 62nd overall at 233 (+17).
- Seitz was the lone Crusader to crack the Top 50, finishing in a tie for 46th. After a strong opening day, he posted a 79 in the final round.
- Mitchell Wittmann (Kaukauna, Wis. / Kaukauna) put together another quality round, following his 74 in Round 2 with a 75 in Round 3. He finished in a tie for 54th overall at 230 (+14).
- After Zach Cutler (O’Fallon, Mo. / Timberland) and Ross Lazar (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) had identical scores in the first two rounds, the two were separated by one stroke on Tuesday. Lazar posted a 78 to finish 74th at 243 (+27), followed closely by Cutler in 75th after stroking a 79 to finish at 244 (+28).
- The Crusaders placed 14th as a team in the 14-team field. They did have their best round of the event at 306 on Tuesday to finish at 934 (+70), but Brown decreased its Round 2 score by 18 strokes to overtake the Crusaders for 13th.
- William & Mary won the event at 852 (-12), while South Carolina Beaufort was second at 863 (-1).
Thoughts from Head Coach Dave Gring
"Our scores improved today and it was good to finish the tournament on a more positive note. We still have a ways to go in getting ourselves in a better position to play well in the early season tournaments."
"The attitudes were great and the guys are going to keep working hard in our practices over the next two weeks prior to our next tournament. We know what we need to work on and we are ready to get after that. Competition always brings to light what work needs to be done."
The Crusaders next competition will come on Monday, March 13 and Tuesday, March 14 in Myrtle Beach, S.C. at The Surf Golf & Beach Club. Links to live scoring will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.