Valparaiso University men’s golf team closed out the Twin Oaks Intercollegiate in Springfield, Mo. on Tuesday. The Crusaders finished the event in ninth of 11 teams with a team score of 904. Peter Webb (Madison, Wis. / James Madison Memorial) paved the way with a 217 (+4) to finish tied for seventh of 69 total players.
How It Happened
- Webb paced the Crusaders for the second consecutive day, posting a 73 in Round 3 to finish at 217.
- Adam Baracani (Normal, Ill. / University) had his best round of the tournament, posting a 76 in Round 3 to finish at 235 (+22) over three rounds. He placed 59th overall.
- Nick Seitz (Xenia, Ohio / Carroll) finished second on the team and tied for 28th overall by notching a 223 (+10). He had Valpo’s third-best score of the day with a 77 in Round 3.
- Zach Cutler (O’Fallon, Mo. / Timberland) totaled an 80 in Round 3 to finish at 229 (+16), tied for 45th. Jeremy Wu (Medford, Ore. / St. Mary’s) carded an 80 in the final round to finish in 62nd at 239 (+26).
- Michael Doherty (Lisle, Ill. / Naperville North) golfed as an individual and stroked an 80 in Round 3 to finish at 232 (+19), tied for 52nd.
Inside the Rounds
- The Crusaders finished just two strokes behind Creighton for eighth and a comfortable 19 strokes ahead of Eastern Illinois for ninth.
- There was one other Horizon League team in the field, as Green Bay finished in a tie for sixth at 888 (+36).
- Valpo ranked sixth in the field on Par 5s with a 4.93 average, three strokes under par on Par 5 holes.
- The Crusaders had 20 birdies in the tournament, sixth of the 11 teams. They led the field in Round 1 birdies, as 15 of those 20 birdies came in the opening round.
- Webb had eight birdies in the tournament, ranking third among all participants.
- Webb’s strongest performances came on Par 3 holes, as he averaged 3.10 on Par 3s to tie for fourth among all participants.
The Crusaders will head to the Hoosier Invitational in Bloomington, Ind. on April 1-2.