Valparaiso University men’s golfer Brett Seward (Aurora, Ill. / Aurora Christian) was a model of consistency at this week’s Motown Classic hosted by Detroit Mercy at Prestwick Village Golf Course in Highland, Mich. The Crusader freshman carded a 74 in each of the three rounds.
How It Happened
- Seward’s 54-hole score of 222 paced the squad and put him in a tie for fifth among all competing individuals.
- Sophomore Jeremy Wu (Medford, Ore. / St. Mary’s) was second on the team at 225 (+9), which also garnered him a Top 10 finish (t-9).
- Freshman Drew Alexander (McCordsville, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) had Valpo’s second-best Round 3 score and finished narrowly behind Wu with a 226 (+10). That score put Alexander in 13th place overall.
- Junior Mitchell Wittmann (Kaukauna, Wis. / Kaukauna) and senior Michael Doherty (Lisle, Ill. / Naperville North) finished as the top two among the nine golfers competing as individuals. Overall, Wittmann (229, +13) and Doherty (230, +14) finished at t-19 and t-21, respectively.
Inside the Round
- Valpo turned in a team score of 306 on the final day, bringing the 54-hole team score to 910. That put the Crusaders in a tie for fourth with Green Bay and eight strokes back of third-place Detroit Mercy. Robert Morris won the event at 888.
- Seward was six strokes behind event medalist David Szymanski of Robert Morris, who stroked an even par at 216.
- The Crusaders finished the tournament with a 4.87 average on Par 5 holes, the best Par 5 scoring average of any team in the field. They also enjoyed a solid performance on Par 3s, averaging 3.38, third in the field.
- Valpo racked up 31 birdies in the tournament, the second-most behind only Robert Morris (35). Alexander led the team with nine birdies, while senior Zach Cutler (O’Fallon, Mo. / Timberland) was one of three individuals in the tournament to record an eagle.
The Crusaders have finished out the fall portion of their season. The next time they take the course in a competitive situation will be Saturday, Feb. 17 for the first day of The Invitational at Savannah Harbor at the Club at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Ga.