Senior Yianni Kostouros (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point [Ball State]) turned in the top score of the day for the Valparaiso University men’s golf team, posting a 71 in the third and final round of the GCU Invitational at the par-71, 7202-yard GCU Golf Course in Phoenix, Ariz. Junior Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) finished with the team’s top 54-hole score over the two-day event.
How It Happened
- Kostouros carded a 71 (E) in Tuesday’s third and final round, finishing the event at 221 over 54 holes.
- VanArragon finalized a Round-2 score of 70 as the players finished up the second round on Tuesday morning, then carded a 72 in Round 3 to finish the event at 213 (+1). He tied for 27th in a competitive, 120-player field.
- Freshman Anthony Delisanti (Sanborn, N.Y. / Niagara Wheatfield) finalized his second straight round under par on Tuesday morning, finishing the second round with a 70 (-1). He completed the event with a 54-hole score of 217, tied for 54th on the player leaderboard.
- Valpo produced a team score of 293 in Round 3 to finish the week at 847, a mark that ranked 19th in a 23-team field. Host Grand Canyon won the event with an 834, while Kyle Cox of UT Arlington went 11 strokes under par to win the tournament with a 202.
Inside the Round
- Valpo received an eagle courtesy of Garrett Willis (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Homestead), who needed only three strokes on the par-5 third hole in Round 3.
- VanArragon had a team-high 14 birdies in the tournament.
- VanArragon performed well on par-4 holes, posting a 3.94 average. Overall, Valpo’s best showing came on par 5s at 4.69.
The Beacons will be right back at it next week for the Twins Oaks Intercollegiate, hosted at the Twin Oaks Country Club in Springfield, Mo. The two-day event will begin on Monday, March 21.