The Valparaiso University men’s golf team closed out its spring break stay in Phoenix on Tuesday by competing in the third and final round of the GCU Invitational, hosted by Grand Canyon at the par-71, 7124-yard GCU Golf Course. Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) had the team’s top performance in Round 3.
How It Happened
- VanArragon’s team-best Round-3 score of 69 (-2) helped him finish the event with a 211 (-2). He was one stroke away from a top-10 finish, checking in at t-11 in an 88-player field.
- The next-best score by a Beacon came from Anthony Delisanti (Sanborn, N.Y. / Niagara Wheatfield), who finished out the tournament with a 54-hole score of 218 after a 72 on Tuesday.
- Rounding out Valpo’s top trio was Yianni Kostouros (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point [Ball State]), who finished with a 74 to close the tournament at 221.
- As a team, the Beacons finished tied for 11th of 16 at 873 after posting a 290 in Round 3.
- TCU took the team title at 835, while Nate Adams of North Dakota State was the individual medalist with a 54-hole score of 200.
Inside the Round
- The Beacons boasted two eagles in the tournament as Kostouros drained one on Tuesday following VanArragon’s eagle on Monday. Kostouros needed only two strokes on the par-4 14th hole in Tuesday’s third round.
- Valpo’s best work came on par-4 holes (4.15 average), but the Beacons struggled with the par 3s (3.45 average).
- Valpo had 37 birdies for the tournament, led by Kostouros with 10.
Valpo returns to the course on Monday, March 27 to start up the Golfweek/AGT Intercollegiate at True Blue GC in Pawleys Island, S.C. A link to live scoring will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.