The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams competed against Eastern Illinois University at the ARC on Saturday, celebrating Senior Day in the process. The men earned a 137-125 victory, while the women suffered a close defeat, 149-113.
How It Happened
- For the men, a pair of freshmen led the way with two individual wins apiece. Dylan Ogle (Simpsonville, S.C./Mauldin) earned victories in the 200-yard freestyle (1:47.20) and the 100-yard butterfly (53.24) events, with his time in the 100-yard butterfly just .06 off of his PR in the event, which ranks ninth in program history.
- Fellow rookie Peyton Stambeck (Bartlesville, Okla./Bartlesville) earned the top spot in both the 50-yard butterfly (23.90) and the 100-yard freestyle (48.69).
- Aside from Ogle in the 200-yard freestyle race, sophomores Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) and Bob Bretl (Wauwatosa, Wis./Marquette University H.S.) finished second (1:48.66) and three (1:49.78) in the event, sweeping the top-three spots for the Crusaders. To add to Kirar’s accomplishments for the day, he won the 500-yard freestyle race with a time of 4:50.17.
- Three other Valpo swimmers added first-place finishes to help propel the team to a win. Junior Max Penn (Columbus, Ohio/St. Charles Prep.) took top billing in the 100-yard individual medley (54.44), while freshmen Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) claimed first place in the 400-yard individual medley (4:19.51). Freshman Harrison Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) touched the wall first in the 50-yard freestyle (22.17) as well.
- On the women’s side, senior Emily Trimpe (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine) won two individual races to lead Valpo. In the 50-yard breaststroke race, she swam a 32.64 and a 1:10.47 in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Two relay teams tallied victories on senior day. The 200-yard medley team of Trimpe and freshman trio Tara Lawson (Mundelein, Ill./Mundelein), Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honor) swam a 1:53.75 to win the event. The 400-yard freestyle relay (3:45.71) of Martins, Wright, Trimpe and junior Amanda Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) added the second top performance.
- In addition to their parts in the two relay wins, Wright earned a first-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, hitting the wall at 55.28, while Martins took first place in the 50-yard butterfly (28.24).
- Senior Rachel Law (Wayne, Pa./Villa Maria Academy) ended her impressive home Crusader career with two second-place finishes, one in the 400-yard individual medley (4:51.26) and in the 500-yard freestyle (5:28.56).
Both teams step away from the pool for a bit to prepare for the Horizon League Championships, which start on Wednesday, Feb. 22. The event will be hosted by UIC and will take place in Chicago, Ill.