The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team continued its week of activity in Florida on Tuesday morning with a neutral site match against Furman at Mandy Stoll Tennis Center in DeLand. The Crusaders dropped the match 7-0.
How It Happened
- Valpo (2-8) lost the doubles point after defeats at No. 2 (Brandon Ancona and Gabriel Carvajal) and No. 3 (Brian Pecyna and Franklin Brozovich). The match between Valpo’s Garrett Gardner (Poland, Ohio / Poland) and Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) and Furman’s Cameron Green and Jake Munns went unfinished.
- Although Valpo lost on all six singles courts, many of the matches were tightly-contested. Jake Munns edged Kenyatte 6-4, 7-5 at No. 2, while Gardner’s set scores were 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4 in a defeat to Drew Singerman.
- The most climactic matches of the day occurred at No. 5 and No. 6, as both went to three sets. Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) beat Jake Bhangdia 6-4 in the opening set, but then fell by that same score in Set 2. Bhangdia captured a close third set, 10-7.
- Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) forced his match with Daniel Vishnick at No. 6 to go the distance, as he picked up a 6-3 win in the second set after dropping the first. Vishnick took home the victory after taking the final set 10-5.
- The Paladins bolstered their record to 11-4 with the victory.
The Crusaders will remain in DeLand, Fla. and return to the court on Wednesday at 4 p.m. CT as they take on Stetson.