The Valparaiso University track and field teams combined for five total individual wins on Friday at the GVSU Tune-Up at Grand Valley State in Allendale, Mich. Sophomore Ben Sekuloski (Lowell, Ind./Lowell) continued his success in the 400-meter dash by improving upon his record-breaking time from two weeks ago. Sophomore Anne Mou (Bloomingdale, Ill./Lake Park) collected two individual wins in the long jump and triple jump.
How It Happened
- Sophomore Kate Mitchell (Algonquin, Ill./Huntley) made her way to the finish line in third with a time of 2:23.39 in the 800-meter run.
- In the 5000-meter run, freshman Sarah Caesar (Fox River Grove, Ill./Cary-Grove) also held on for third with a time of 19:08.05.
- Mou captured her first win in the long jump when she finished at 16 feet, one half inch. Sophomore classmate Shannon Lahey (Dixon, Ill./Dixon) posted a third-place finish with an effort of 15-08¼.
- In the triple jump, Mou was victorious again, this time reaching out to 35-1. Lahey grabbed fourth with a distance of 33-5¼, which is her best this season.
- The shot put saw junior Nellie Bonham (Palos Hills, Ill./Stagg) post a throw of 41-8, which placed her sixth overall.
- In the men’s 200-meter dash, sophomore Taylor Allen (Zionsville, Ind./Zionsville) crossed the line fourth with a time of 22.81.
- Sekuloski again dropped the 400-meter dash school record by .33 from two weeks ago when he set it at the Meyo Invitational. He edged the second-place finisher by .81.
- Senior Brandon Riley (Chicago, Ill./Morgan Park) finished the 400-meter dash in fourth with a time of 49.10.
- Another victory for the Crusaders came in the men’s 5000-meter run when senior Sidney Noble (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) clocked in at 15:56.49.
- In the high jump, freshman Will Maidment (Woodstock, Ill./Woodstock) was the runner-up, finishing at a height of 6-2¾.
- Sophomore Jeremy Seiler (Angola, Ind./Fremont) collected another runner-up finish for Valpo in the pole vault, reaching 15-5¾.
- The Crusaders went 1, 2 in the men’s triple jump when senior Montel Hall (Waukegan, Ill./Waukegan) and junior Malik Riley (Romeoville, Ill./Romeoville) leapt 42-0¾ and 41-7¼, respectively.
- In the men’s shot put, senior Andrew Guzek (Valparaiso, Ind./Valparaiso) and sophomore Jake Rasawehr (Celina, Ohio/Celina) added fourth and fifth-place finishes. Guzek’s toss went 48-7¼, while Rasawehr’s distance was 47-0¾.
- Guzek also claimed fourth in the weight throw with a season-best heave of 60-3¼.
Select Crusaders will compete at the Alex Wilson Invitational, hosted by Notre Dame on Saturday, Feb. 17. Action is set to begin at 10 a.m. CT.