The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s cross country teams continued the season on Friday by participating in the Joe Piane Invitational hosted by the University of Notre Dame. The Beacons were led by Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) and Evan Walda (Fort Wayne, Ind. / South Side) in the women’s and men’s races, respectively.
How It Happened
- Aurand finished the women’s 5K in 18:54.9, which represented a personal best. Her team-leading time was good for 78th in a highly competitive field.
- The next Beacon to cross the finish line in the women’s race was Ellie Roeglin (Delafield, Wis. / Lake County Lutheran), who posted a time of 19:33.4, also achieving a 5K PR. She was followed closely by Kaitlynn Leady (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton), who crossed the finish line in 19:38.5 to set a personal record of her own.
- On the men’s side, Walda topped the team in the five-mile race with a time of 25:12. He boasted a top-30 finish in the large and competitive field, coming in 29th.
- Walda was followed closely by Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy), who stopped the clock in 25:17.7 to place 35th. Simeon Ehm (Castle Rock, Colo. / Heritage) also enjoyed a top-40 finish, coming in 39th in 25:20.9. The fourth Beacon to cross the finish line was Eric Carothers (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern), who placed 43rd in 25:25.6.
- The Valpo men finished ahead of Marquee, Vanderbilt and Green Bay in the team standings. The women topped Cleveland State.
The Beacons will return to the course on Friday, Oct. 14 for the Bradley Pink Classic in Peoria, Ill.