The Valparaiso University men’s basketball team shot 60 percent in the first half, but cooled off in the second stanza of a game where Indiana State knocked down 17 3-pointers on their way to an 84-62 win over the Beacons at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute. Valpo was led in scoring by 22 points from Ben Krikke (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada / Jasper Place).
How It Happened
- The Beacons took the early lead when Nick Edwards (Atlanta, Ga. / Grayson [Glenville State]) beat the shot clock with a 3 on the game’s opening possession, and later Maximus Nelson (Appleton, Wis. / Appleton North) hit a big triple to cut the Indiana State lead to one at 11-10 with 15:50 on the clock.
- After the Nelson 3, Indiana State scored the game’s next eight points to open up a 19-10 lead. The lead reached double figures by the midway mark of the first half at 25-15, and the largest lead of the first half came with 7:30 on the clock when Indiana State stretched the lead to 12 with a 3 that made it 31-19.
- Valpo made a push late in the first half including a 3 by Nelson at the 1:31 mark of the half to make it 44-37. The gap shrunk to five on a basket by Edwards a moment later, and the halftime deficit was seven after Indiana State scored the final bucket of the half.
- Valpo struggled to hit shots early in the second half, and by the 11:13 mark the lead was 19 at 65-46.
- The Beacons were held below 30 percent shooting in the second half and missed 10 of their 12 3-point tries after making five of nine before the break. The hosts pulled away by outscoring the Brown & Gold 38-23 in the second stanza.
Inside the Game
- Krikke posted 22 points on 10-of-17 shooting. He thrived in the first half with 16 points on 7-of-9 from the field. He has scored 19 points or more in each of his last five games, has scored in double figures in 14 straight outings and has 10 or more in all 15 conference games.
- Senior Kobe King (La Crosse, Wis. / La Crosse Central [Wisconsin]) scored in double figures for the 26th consecutive game, registering 11 points.
- Nelson pulled down a team-high nine rebounds to go along with eight points. The rookie’s performance on the glass shattered his previous career high of seven set on Jan. 28 vs. Evansville.
- After shattering a Missouri Valley Conference league-only record for made 3s in a game with 19 on Saturday vs. Murray State, the Sycamores followed with 17 made 3s on 40 attempts on Wednesday.
Valpo (10-16, 4-11 MVC) will host Illinois State on Saturday at 6 p.m. There will be a free Valpo mini-cooler giveaway for the first 200 fans. To purchase tickets, visit valpoathletics.com/tickets.