The Valparaiso University track & field team began competition at the Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Championships on Friday with Evan Walda (Fort Wayne, Ind. / South Side) and Tommy Palmer (Saco, Maine. / Phillips Exeter Academy) scoring points in the 10,000-meter run and javelin, respectively. The event is being hosted by Illinois State in Normal, Ill. and runs through Sunday.
How It Happened
- Walda finished sixth of 16 in the 10,000, stopping the clock with a time of 31:02.54. He garnered three points for the squad.
- Palmer notched a mark of 47.43 meters (155-7) in the javelin, placing eighth of 14. He notched one point.
- In the hammer throw, Josh Leathers (Streamwood, Ill. / Streamwood) led for Beacon men who participated in that event. His heave covered 39.31m (128-7). On the women’s side, Tori Gerhardt (Westville, Ind. / Chesterton) turned in a 44.17m (144-11), finishing 12th of 18.
- In the sprints, Lukas Sepulveda (Camano Island, Wash. / Stanwood) turned in a time of 22.26 seconds in the men’s 200 prelims.
- In the mid-distance, Eric Carothers (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) stopped the clock in 3:57.41 in the 1500, while Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) finished 15th of 23 with a 4:40.54 on the women’s side.
The MVC Outdoor Championships will continue on Saturday. Live coverage is available on ESPN+ and a link to live video and results can be found on ValpoAthletics.com.