The regular season came to a close for the Valpo soccer team Sunday afternoon in Chicago, Ill., as host UIC used a second-half goal to earn a 1-0 win. The Beacons will be the sixth seed for the upcoming Missouri Valley Conference tournament and will open tournament play at UNI against seventh-seeded Belmont Thursday afternoon.
How It Happened
- Valpo attempted five shots and UIC seven in an even first half, with both sides putting two shots on goal as the match went into intermission scoreless.
- The Flames took the lead on a sharp-angle effort from Sophia Jaime in the 63rd minute.
- Valpo put a pair of shots on goal in search of an equalizer, but was unable to find the back of the net.
Inside the Match
- Both sides finished with 13 shot attempts, with UIC putting five on goal to Valpo’s four. Goalkeeper Nikki Coryell (Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley) made four saves for the Beacons.
- Center backs Nicole Norfolk (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Divine Savior Holy Angels) and Anna Cup (Bartlett, Ill./South Elgin) and midfielder Allie Anderson (Wheaton, Ill./Wheaton Warrenville South [Xavier]) all went the full 90 minutes on Sunday.
- Norfolk played all 1,620 regular season minutes in the field for the Beacons, while Coryell played all 1,620 minutes in goal.
- Cup and senior Aubrey Ramey (Jacksonville, Fla./The Bolles School [DePaul]) joined Norfolk and Coryell in starting all 18 regular season fixtures.
Valpo (7-5-6, 3-3-4 MVC) opens up the conference tournament against Belmont Thursday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN+.