The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in the Athletics-Recreation Center against Milwaukee on Friday afternoon. Competing in the squads’ second home meet of the season, the men and women both fell to the Panthers. Sophomore Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honor) swam her way to a first-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke.\
How It Happened
- Wright hit the wall in 59.74, one second behind her school record in the event. She also competed in the 200-yard freestyle relay with freshman Megan Lugar, sophomore Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and senior Amanda Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany), who tallied a second-place nod.
- Tara Lawson (Mundelein, Ill./Mundelein), sophomore Emily Baumgartner (Fishers, Ind./Fishers), Martins and Wright earned a third-place result in the 200 medley relay.
- Senior Vincenza Zaia (Canton, Mich./Salem) finished in 1:00.12 to secure a second-place finish in the 100 free. The veteran ended the 1000 free in third, concluding the event in 11:34.05.
- Jenny earned second in the 500 free, hitting the wall in 5:33.78. She tallied three points for the Crusaders with her third-place performance in the 200 free.
- Martins had a time of 1:04.26 in the 100 butterfly, resulting in a second-place finish.
- Baumgartner finished second in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:12.73.
- For the men, junior Mac Sogandares (Reston, Va./South Lakes) secured a second-place mark in the 500 free, ending in 4:56.14.
- Speedster Dylan Ogle (Simpsonville, S.C./Mauldin) had a second-place result in the 100 fly and added another second-place nod in the 100 breast.
- Junior Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo/Ralston Valley) earned two third-place finishes at the meet - one in the 500 free and the other in the 1000 free.
- In the 200 free relay, the team of Spenser Shaffer (LaPorte, Ind./LaPorte), Harrison Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany), Kirar and Sogandares received four points for Valpo with their second-place outcome.
The Crusaders will travel to Western Illinois on Saturday, Nov. 4 for the first of two straight road meets. The event is slated to begin at 2 p.m. CT at the Brophy Hall Pool, in Macomb, Ill.