The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams traveled to West Lafayette, Ind. Saturday to compete at the 2019 Indiana Intercollegiates. Sophomore Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) had the top individual finish of the day with a third-place effort, while senior Paige Wright (Surprise Ariz./Paradise Honors) had a sixth-place finish individually and was also part of a sixth-place relay.
How It Happened
- Bennett had the top finish Saturday for the Valpo men, finishing third in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 59.64.
- Sophomore Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) had the next best day for the Brown and Gold on the men’s side, finishing sixth in the 50 free with a time of 21.95.
- On the women’s side, Wright had another impressive meet, finishing sixth in the 500 free with a time of 5:16.60.
- Freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) placed eighth in the 100 breaststroke, posting a time of 1:08.12. After already cracking Valpo’s top-10 all-time in the event in her first career meet, DePover moved up into sixth in the program’s record book on Saturday.
- Freshman Sophie Morelock (Milan Mich./Milan) also had an eighth-place finish of her own in the 500 free with a time of 5:25.75.
- Wright, DePover, senior Erica Martins (Hartland Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and freshman Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) teamed up to place sixth in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:50.98. The quartet’s time was just over four-tenths of a second outside Valpo’s all-time top-10 in the event.
- Both the men and the women finished the meet in sixth position. The men tallied 106 points to finish in sixth place out of 10 teams, while the women totaled 100 points to come in sixth out of 11 squads.
Valpo will host its first home meet of the season against Evansville on Friday, Oct. 25 at the ARC pool. The meet is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.