The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams traveled to Terre Haute, Ind. to take on Rose-Hulman Friday afternoon. Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) and Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) led the women, each winning three individual events to lead the Brown and Gold to a win over the Fightin’ Engineers.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s first win of the day came in the women’s 200 medley relay, with the team of Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan), DePover, Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Westinghouse Prep) clocking a time of 1:53.45.
- Ella Frangopoulos (Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead) picked up the first individual event win for the women in the 1000 free, stopping the clock at 11:42.33.
- Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) picked up her first win of the day as she clocked a 2:00.45 in the 200 free.
- Wright followed with her first victory, touching the wall first in the 50 back with a time of 28.49 , beating the second-place competitor by over two seconds.
- DePover’s first individual win of the day came in the 50-breaststroke (31.44).
- Humphrey touched the wall first in the 100-yard butterfly to secure the win, recording a time of 1:07.15.
- Martins won the 50 free with a time of 26.03.
- DePover came in first in the 100 free (57.27), followed by a Wright victory in the next event in the 100 backstroke (1:01.43).
- The Brown and Gold secured wins as well in the 500 free by Markley (5:27.65) – her second individual win – and the 50 butterfly by DePover (27.62) – her third individual victory.
- Wright tallied the final individual victory for the women in the 200 IM, touching the wall at 2:18.76 for her third win.
- The team of Wright, Robinson, Sturdivant and Markley captured the final win for the women in the 200-yard free relay, recording a time of 1:44.47.
- Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) secured the first individual win for the men in the 1000 free, posting a time of 10:13.84.
- Freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield Wis./Brookfield East) picked up an individual victory for the men as well, winning the 500 free with a time of 4:51.25. Earlier in the day, Daniels finished second in the 200-free with a time of 1:50.37.
- Freshmen Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar) earned two runner-up finishes on Friday, finishing in second place in the 50-breaststroke (28.58) and the 100-breaststroke (1:01.68).
- The Valpo women won the scoring 201-72, and the men fell by a score of 186-76.
Valpo returns to the ARC for their Senior Meet as they host Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois in a tri-meet Saturday, Jan.18. Senior recognition will begin at 12:50 p.m., with the meet commencing at 1 p.m.