The Valpo women’s swimming team hosted its final home meet of the season on Saturday against Indiana State. Freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) led the Brown and Gold, posting two individual wins.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s first win of the day came in the 400 medley relay with the team of Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors), DePover, Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell). The team clocked a time of 4:02.10 to edge out the Sycamores’ top squad by one-tenth of a second.
- DePover’s first individual win came in the 100-breaststroke, as she bested the second-place finisher by over two seconds with a time of 1:06.58. Her second individual win came in the 200-breaststroke as she recorded a time of 2:29.73, just .57 off her season best in the event.
- DePover notched a second-place finish in the 200 IM as well, clocking a time of 2:16.82.
- Markley recorded a second-place finish in the 100-free (54.73), while Wright placed second in the 500 free with a time of 5:17.47.
- In the final event of the day the team of Wright, Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Westinghouse Prep.), Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) and Markley finished second in the 200-free relay, stopping the clock at 1:41.44.
- Indiana State won the scoring, 177-85.
The Valpo women will head to Columbia, Mo. on February 19-22 for the Missouri Valley Conference Championships. The men, who did not compete on Saturday, will take to the pool for the Summit League Championships on those same dates in Sioux Falls, S.D.