The Valpo women’s swimming team had both of its relay squads crack the program’s record books Wednesday evening as the Beacons kicked off action at the 2023 MVC Championships in Iowa City, Iowa.
How It Happened
- The meet opened with the 200 medley relay, and Valpo’s quartet of senior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan), sophomore Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake), sophomore Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) and freshman Madi Boor (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield North) came home in 1:49.19 to move into ninth place in program history in the event.
- Morelock’s opening-leg time of 28.03 over the 50 back was the team’s fastest 50 back time of the season.
- In the 800 free relay, freshman Emma Schmidt (Overland Park, Kan./Blue Valley), Pollard, freshman Caroline Gorski (Melrose Park, Ill./Leyden) and sophomore Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) posted the ninth-fastest time in program history, touching the wall in 7:55.43.
- Schmidt covered the opening 200 free in a Valpo season-best 1:56.72.
- Valpo compiled 68 points on the first of four days of competition, finishing the day in 10th place.
The meet continues on Thursday, with prelim action starting at 10:30 a.m. and event finals beginning at 6 p.m.