Valpo women’s swimming sophomore Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) broke the program’s 100 IM record on Thursday to highlight the first full day of competition at the 2023 MVC Championships in Iowa City, Iowa.
How It Happened
- Strauss posted a time of 1:00.07 in the 100 IM to set the new standard in the event, shaving over a half-second off the previous record and nearly two full seconds off her PR.
- Senior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) also cracked Valpo’s all-time best in the 100 IM with a time of 1:02.78, moving into fifth in program history.
- In addition to her record-setting swim, Strauss also led the Beacons in the 50 free. Her time of 24.74 in the prelims was just .13 off of moving into the top-10 in program history in the event.
- Sophomore Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) paced the Valpo contingent in the 200 IM, touching the wall in 2:16.37, while freshman Emma Schmidt (Overland Park, Kan./Blue Valley) led the way for Valpo with a time of 5:14.00 in the 500 free.
- Valpo’s 200 free relay quartet of Strauss, Morelock, freshman Caroline Gorski (Melrose Park, Ill./Leyden) and sophomore Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) claimed eighth-place points with a time of 1:39.62, the program’s fastest time of the season.
- Valpo concluded the day in 10th place in the team standings with 112 total points.
Valpo continues the 2023 MVC Championships on Friday from Iowa City. Prelims will begin at 10:30 a.m. and event finals at 6 p.m.