The Valpo women’s swimming team had swims which were among the best in program history in four out of six events on Friday as the MVC Championships continued from Iowa City, Iowa.
How It Happened
- Freshman Emma Schmidt (Overland Park, Kan./Blue Valley) qualified for Friday evening’s ‘C’ final in the 400 IM with a prelim time of 4:46.30, at that point ranking her seventh in program history in the event. In the evening final, Schmidt shed over four seconds off her morning time as she touched the wall in 4:41.85, moving into fifth in program history.
- The Beacons had a pair of top-10 swims in the 100 breast on Friday. Sophomore Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) bested her PR in the event with a time of 1:07.31, improving upon her seventh-best time in program history, while freshman Natalie Eaton (Tulsa, Okla./Jenks) now slots right behind Strauss on the top-10 chart in eighth with her Friday time of 1:07.84.
- While she already held a spot among the program’s all-time best in the 100 back, senior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) moved up into seventh in the event with her time of 59.24.
- In the other individual events, sophomore Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) paced the Valpo contingent in the 100 fly (1:00.22) and freshman Caroline Gorski (Melrose Park, Ill./Leyden) was the top Beacon in the 200 free (1:59.87).
- Valpo’s 400 medley relay quartet of Morelock, Strauss, Pollard and sophomore Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) covered the distance in 4:00.25, seventh-fastest all-time at Valpo in the event.
- Valpo closed the day in 10th place in the team standings with 153 total points.
Valpo will close out the 2022-23 campaign with the final day of conference championship action on Saturday. Prelim swims begin at 10:30 a.m.