The Valpo women’s swimming team brought its 2022-23 season to an end on Saturday with the final day of competition at the 2023 Missouri Valley Conference Championships in Iowa City, Iowa.
How It Happened
- A pair of Valpo swimmers posted times among the top-10 in program history in the 200 breast on Saturday. Sophomore Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) moved up the chart into fourth position with her time of 2:25.28, while freshman Natalie Eaton (Tulsa, Okla./Jenks) covered the distance in 2:27.44, eighth-fastest all-time at Valpo.
- Freshman Emma Schmidt (Overland Park, Kan./Blue Valley) moved into seventh in program history in the 1650 free with a time of 18:01.76. Her 1000 split of 10:55.07 just narrowly missed cracking the top-10 in that event as well.
- In the final individual swim of her collegiate career, senior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) posted a time of 2:08.49 in the 200 back, less than a half-second off her PR in the event which ranks fourth all-time at Valpo.
- Sophomore Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) led the Valpo contingent in the 100 free, touching the wall in 54.95, while freshman Alice Korwel (Itasca, Ill./Lake Park) paced the Beacons with a time of 2:16.17 in the 200 fly.
- Valpo’s final relay of the meet ended up being the highest-placed in the program’s record book, as Strauss, Morelock, freshman Caroline Gorski (Melrose Park, Ill./Leyden) and Hume combined to complete the 400 free relay in 3:36.24, good for fifth in program history and the second-fastest time in the last 14 years. Strauss opened the relay with a 53.79 leadoff leg, allowing her to move into a tie for 10th in program history in the 100 free.
- Valpo finished in 10th place in the team standings, compiling 187 points over the four-day meet.