The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team continued its strong start to the 2017-18 season by boosting its dual match record to 3-1 with a 6-3 victory over Hope College on Saturday afternoon in Holland, Mich. With the victory, the Crusaders have already surpassed their season win total from each of the last two years.
How It Happened
- The match was played under Division III rules, counting doubles as separate decisions and utilizing ad scoring.
- The Crusaders took two of the three doubles points, winning at No. 1 and No. 3. Freshman Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) and senior Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) were the first to finish, prevailing 8-3 at the top doubles slot.
- The other two doubles matches came down to the wire, with freshman Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and junior Halle Roach (Libertyville, Ill. / Libertyville) suffering a tight 9-8(7) setback at No. 2, while junior Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and senior Erin Staal (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) pulled out a 9-7 win at No. 3.
- Modesto was the first player off the court in singles, making quick work of her opponent at No. 3, 6-0, 6-2.
- Vujanic prevailed in straight sets at No. 2, winning 6-4, 6-3. Senior Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) did the same in the No. 5 slot, taking her match 7-6(3), 6-1.
- The last match going was on Court 1, where Czerwonka defeated Hope College’s No.1 singles player Amanda Bandrowski in a three-set thriller – 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
- Staal won the first set 6-4 at No. 6 singles before dropping the final two sets, while sophomore Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) fell in straights at No. 4.
Inside the Match
- The Crusaders played without the services of sophomore Dao Sysouvanh, who was sidelined by an injury.
- The match was a special one for Staal, Valpo’s lone senior, as she had the chance to play in front of family and friends in her hometown area.
- Vujanic and Czerwonka both upped their win total to eight, which marks the team lead.
- Czerwonka and Modesto now share the team lead in doubles wins with seven apiece.
- Modesto increased her singles win total to seven for the year and 20 for her career.
- Wind bolstered her career singles win total to 21.
The Crusaders will face instate rival Butler on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 11 a.m. CT in Indianapolis.