Valparaiso University women’s tennis sophomore Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) was victorious in both singles and doubles on Sunday morning, serving as a bright spot in a 6-1 loss to host Saint Louis at Kings Point in Belleville, Ill. The Crusaders were hindered by an injury to their No. 2 singles player.
How It Happened
- Singles matches were played first since only five indoor courts were available. Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) was pulled from her No. 2 singles match with Mariluz Rojo due to an injury.
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) was the only Crusader on the first five courts to capture a set. She grabbed the opener 6-1 from Alba Salinas, but the Billiken No. 4 singles player bounced back with 6-2, 10-5 wins over the next two sets.
- When a court became available, Kopfer played an eight-game pro set at No. 6 singles against Gabi Papachrisanthou and notched an 8-2 victory.
- Kopfer team up with Sysouvanh to gain a 6-2 win over Papachrisanthou and Alana Bourgeois at No. 3 doubles.
- The Crusaders dropped the No. 2 doubles match 6-2 as Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) fell to Alba Salinas and Ariana Rodriguez.
- Valpo’s top doubles team of Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Vujanic defaulted to Cassie McKenzie and Rojo due to Vujanic’s injury.
Inside the Match
- Kopfer enjoyed her seventh singles win of the year and her third in dual action.
- Kopfer and Sysouvanh boosted their mark to 4-5 as a doubles combo, all in dual play. Kopfer picked up her 10th doubles win of the year.
- This was the second of five straight road matches to close the regular season.
The Crusaders will play their final nonconference match of the year on Wednesday afternoon as they visit Chicago State.