The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team bounced back from Saturday afternoon’s 7-0 defeat to Bradley to top Ohio Northern 7-2 in the squad’s second match of the day, ending a full day of action at the Valpo Tennis Complex on a high note.
How It Happened – Bradley
- The Braves (12-7, 1-1) set the tone by dominating doubles before winning on all six singles courts in Valpo’s Missouri Valley Conference opener.
- Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) were the two Valpo players to take a singles set. Schoolcraft’s set win was 6-0 in Set 2 against Natalia Barbery to force a third-set tiebreak at No. 4 singles.
- Wind played a full third set with Nikki Perlwitz at No. 5 but dropped the match 6-1, 2-6, 6-1.
How It Happened – Ohio Northern
- The two teams played doubles as separate decisions and eight-game doubles matches with no ad-scoring.
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic) teamed up for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles, while Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) and Schoolcraft prevailed 8-5 in their match at No. 2 doubles.
- The Polar Bears (12-4) received both of their points via forfeits with Valpo playing shorthanded, as Valpo (3-12, 0-1) won all five singles and both doubles matches that were played.
- All five singles wins came in straight sets with Czerwonka, Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie), Schoolcraft, Wind and Kopfer all notching victories at their respective slots.
Inside the Matches
- Czerwonka and Wind both earned their ninth singles victory of the season on Saturday.
- Wind and Kopfer are tied for the team lead in dual match triumphs with six dual victories apiece.
- Sysouvanh earned her fourth win and third of the spring, while Schoolcraft registered the first dual match victory of her career and her seventh overall win.
- In doubles, Sysouvanh and Czerwonka gained their first win as a pair this season, while Kopfer and Schoolcraft were victorious together for the second time this year.
- Czerwonka is up to 10 doubles wins this season as she holds the team lead in that area.
Valpo will complete a busy weekend on Sunday at 2 p.m. against Missouri Valley Conference foe Illinois State. The match is slated to take place indoors at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith.