The three Valparaiso University women’s tennis players who are competing in their final collegiate season had a strong day in doubles, helping Valpo take the doubles point from Missouri State in Saturday’s home finale and final regular season match. The visiting Bears registered a 5-2 victory at Match Point Tennis Club.
How It Happened
- After Missouri State won the No. 1 doubles match, Valpo took the remaining showdowns to wrestle the doubles point away from the Bears (10-10, 3-2). The senior duo of Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) made sure their final home match together will evoke positive memories by besting Fati Khamissi and Phoebe Boeschen 6-1 at No. 2.
- The doubles point hinged on the No. 3 match, where Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) secured a 6-3 win over Anna Alons and Alexia Meyer. Schoolcraft is a freshman, while Kopfer is a junior but will be done with tennis after this season as she’s part of Valpo’s physician assistant program.
- Sophomore Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) accounted for Valpo’s singles win on Saturday, defeating Alye Darter in straight sets 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 1 position.
- Missouri State picked up wins at No. 6 and No. 3 singles, but there was some drama in terms of the team result with two close singles matches remaining.
- Schoolcraft lost two tight sets to Boeschen at No. 4, 7-5, 7-6(5), allowing Missouri State to clinch the team win. The final match to finish was at No. 2, where Modesto stormed back to win Set 2 after dropping the opening set on a tiebreak, but eventually fell in Set 3. Alons was victorious in that match, 7-6(6), 3-6, 6-2.
Inside the Match
- Czerwonka picked up her second consecutive win at No. 1 singles, completing a perfect 2-0 week at the top spot. She boosted her team lead in singles victories as she now has 11.
- Modesto and Wind improved their record to 3-2 as a pair this season, all in dual matches. Modesto has six doubles wins overall, while Wind owns eight.
- Kopfer and Schoolcraft also upped their doubles record to 3-2 as a combo. Both players now have nine doubles wins this season.
Valpo (3-17, 0-5) will compete in the Missouri Valley Conference Championship, which will be hosted by UNI starting on Friday in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The seeding for the tournament is based in part on ITA Rankings, so Valpo’s first-round start time and opponent are unknown until the conference announces the bracket. Stay tuned for additional information.