Sophomore Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) and junior Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) teamed up for a victory at No. 2 doubles, but visiting SIUE took the remaining doubles matches and swept singles en route to a 7-0 victory over the Valparaiso University tennis team at The Courts of Northwest Indiana on Sunday. Tabanera and Schoolcraft have won two of their last three matches.
How It Happened
- Tabanera and Schoolcraft downed Maria Thibault and Melissa Vizcardo 6-1 at No. 2 doubles, but the Cougars (4-1) prevailed by that same 6-1 score at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions to nail down the doubles point.
- Tabanera now owns 14 career doubles wins, while Schoolcraft has captured 23 doubles successes during her time with the Brown & Gold. As a duo, they’ve won two of their last three with victories over Western Michigan and SIUE.
- The lone three-set affair of the match occurred at No. 6 singles, where sophomore Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) jumped in front by taking the opening set, but went on to drop the match to Callaghan Adams in a tight third set, 2-6, 6-1, 7-5.
- Sophomore Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) put together a pair of hard-fought sets in her second doubles match, but Jordan Schifano eked out the 7-5, 7-5 win.
- Each of the remaining singles courts saw SIUE prevail in straight sets.
Valpo (1-3) has a busy weekend ahead with three home matches in as many days starting on Friday at 5:30 p.m. vs. Milwaukee at The Courts of Northwest Indiana.