The Valparaiso University tennis team wrapped up a solid weekend of play at the Redbird Invitational in Normal, Ill. on Sunday, an outing that was highlighted by a Flight 2 singles championship by junior Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy). Fifth-year senior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) earned a milestone victory on a day where the Beacons went 5-2 in singles action.
How It Happened
- Olivia edged Mariona Perez of Saint Louis in straight sets – 6-4, 6-4 – to take the Flight 2 singles crown. She closed out a flawless 3-0 weekend in singles play.
- Claire also found success against a Billiken, beating Mya Spencer 6-1, 6-2 in a Flight 1 consolation match.
- Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) also participated in a winning day of singles play for the Beacons, besting Chicago State’s Susana Andres 6-4, 6-2 to take fifth in Flight 8.
- Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) won by retirement over Christina Stankovic of IUPUI after holding a 3-0 lead. Tabanera took fifth in Flight 4 singles.
- Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) also won by retirement in her Flight 5 match, leading Katrina Drazic of Chicago State 5-4 at the time Drazic retired.
- Isabella Schoolcraft’s (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) setback in Flight 9 came in a tightly-contested 7-6(5), 4-6, 9-11 match against Marquette’s Sarah Badawi.
- Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) finished as the runner-up in Flight 7, dropping a close championship match 7-6(2), 6-4 at the hands of IUPUI’s Meghan Bernard.
- In Flight 4 doubles, Jhaveri and McConnell earned fifth place with an 8-6 victory over the Chicago State pairing of Dukic/Andres.
Inside the Match
- The singles win for Claire represented a significant milestone as it marked her 100th career victory, combining singles and doubles wins. She is up to 46 career singles triumphs, surpassing Monika Danko (2001-2005, 45) for sole possession of eighth on the program’s all-time list.
- Olivia increased her career singles win total to 28 and moved to 4-0 this fall.
- Tabanera collected her 23rd career singles win, while Jhaveri picked up her 18th. McConnell secured the fifth of her young career.
- Jhaveri’s doubles win was the 18th of her career, while McConnell nailed down her seventh career doubles success.
The ITA Midwest Regional will take place beginning on Friday, Sept. 24 in Urbana-Champaign, Ill. Valpo will then participate in the Rocket Invitational beginning on Oct. 1.