A victory by Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) in doubles action highlighted the second day of competition for the Valparaiso University tennis team on Saturday at the ITA Midwest Regional, hosted by the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
How It Happened
- Schoolcraft and Tabanera had a 6-5 edge in their match when the Illinois State team of Jankulovska/Brodin retired. That allowed the Valpo pair to capture a victory in the consolation draw.
- Earlier in the day, Schoolcraft and Tabanera fell to Notre Dame in the doubles main draw.
- Olivia and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) dropped a tight match to Pratt/McColgan of Northwestern, as the Wildcats edged the Beacons 8-7(11-9) in an intense tiebreak.
- After a pair of wins on Friday, Olivia fell in her Round of 32 singles main draw match against the University of Illinois.
- Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) and Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) dropped their consolation doubles match to Notre Dame, while the Czerwonka sisters fell to Toledo. In consolation singles play, Schoolcraft succumbed to Northern Illinois.
The ITA Midwest Regional will continue on Sunday at the University of Illinois.