The Valparaiso University tennis team attained a noteworthy win on Saturday, beating Milwaukee for the first time in the last 15 matchups between the two teams. Valpo went on the road and earned a 4-3 victory over the Panthers by capturing four of the six singles matches.
How It Happened
- Valpo played from behind after dropping the doubles point. The No. 1 doubles match was locked in a 5-5 tie at the time the doubles point was clinched.
- The team victory came down to the final match in action, a three-set battle featuring Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) at No. 4 singles. She rallied after losing the opening set 6-1 by edging her way to victories in the remaining sets, 6-4, 7-5.
- The Beacons boasted a “double bagel” victory from Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) at No. 6. She ran off wins in 12 straight games to sweep the match in dominant fashion.
- Senior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) garnered a straight-set win at No. 2, picking up a 6-4, 6-3 triumph.
- Four of the six singles matches went to a third set, including Amanda Tabanera’s (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) win at No. 3, where she rallied from a set down. After dropping the opener 6-2, Tabanera turned it around to prevail 6-4 in Set 2 before polishing off the victory with 6-0 blanking in Set 3.
- The No. 1 singles match also went to three sets as Olivia Czerwonka (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) won her opening set on a tiebreak 7-6(1) before dropping the next two sets. Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) also won her first set at No. 5 singles before falling in a tight match that featured all close sets.
Inside the Match
- Claire’s singles win was the 53rd of her career, moving her into sole possession of fifth place in program history. She snapped a tie with Kate Kollarova (2000-2002) and Whitney Chada (2003-2007).
- Valpo improved to 2-1 in matches decided by a 4-3 score. In addition, the team earned its first victory this season when dropping the doubles point. The Beacons were previously 0-7 this season when falling in doubles and had lost nine straight matches when losing the doubles point dating back to last season.
- Tabanera picked up her 13th singles win of the season, while Schoolcraft achieved her eighth, Claire her ninth and Jhaveri her 11th. Tabanera is up to 36 career singles successes.
- This win marked a significant turnaround from last season’s match, when Milwaukee came to Valpo and garnered a 5-2 victory.
- In fact, this snapped Valpo’s 14-match head-to-head losing streak to the Panthers dating back to Feb. 23, 2002, a 6-1 Valpo triumph. Valpo did not beat Milwaukee during the 10 seasons that the programs shared Horizon League affiliation.
- By earning the team’s seventh win of the season, the Beacons have now surpassed last season’s win total and own the program’s highest win accumulation since 2007.
The Beacons (7-8) will attempt to close out a 2-0 weekend on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. vs. Oakland. The match will take place at The Courts of Northwest Indiana.