The Valparaiso University tennis team received a victory from its No. 1 singles player and No. 1 doubles tandem on Saturday, but host Bradley prevailed 5-2 indoors at Pekin Parkside Athletics in Peoria, Ill. Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) capped a perfect weekend with her singles win after teaming with her sister Claire to win at the top doubles spot. In addition to the Czerwonka victories, Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) earned a singles success for the Beacons.
How It Happened
- The Braves took the doubles point by virtue of wins at No. 2 and No. 3, but Valpo’s top tandem of Claire and Olivia battled their way to a 7-5 win at No. 1. The Beacons took each of the last two games after a 5-5 deadlock, besting Madalena Andrade and Kristin Hailey.
- A day after knocking off the defending MVC Singles Player of the Year and Flight 1 MVC Singles Champion, Olivia continued her winning ways on Saturday. She dropped just two games en route to a 6-2, 6-0 win over Bozana Lojpur at No. 1 singles in the first match to finish.
- Bertino defeated Nina Marjanovic 6-3, 7-6(4) in straight sets in the final match to finish at No. 5 singles.
- Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) was nipped in a three-set battle at No. 3 singles after taking the first set, falling to Andrade Madalena 4-6, 6-3, 6-1. The Braves won the remaining singles showdowns in straight sets.
Inside the Match
- Olivia defeated the reigning MVC Singles Player of the Week on Friday, then teamed up with Claire to beat the reigning MVC Doubles Team of the Week on Saturday.
- Olivia and Claire picked up their 19th doubles win of the season, moving into a tie for fourth in program history for single-season doubles victories, joining Kate Evangelist (2004-2005, 19). With one more doubles victory, the sisters would tie the single-season program record that is currently shared by three players.
- Claire’s program-record career doubles win total is up to 71, while Olivia now owns 44 career doubles triumphs. Olivia ranks eighth in program history, two away from a tie for seventh.
- Olivia obtained her 21st singles victory of the season, moving into sole possession of third in program history. She surpassed Kate Evangelist (2004-2005) for third. There is actually only one player who has won more than 21 singles matches in a season, as Kate Kollarova owns the top two spots in the program record book – 29 in 2000-01 and 23 in 2001-02.
- From a career singles victory standpoint, this was win No. 45 for Olivia. That victory elevated her into a tie for ninth in the program record book with Monika Danko (2001-2005, 45).
- Olivia’s singles win came over Lojpur, who owns a variety of career accolades including 2019 MVC Flight 2 Singles champion, 2019 All-MVC First Team and 2021 MVC All-Select Team. Olivia defeated her in straight sets for the second straight season.
- Bertino garnered her 15th singles win of the year.
The Beacons (10-11, 2-3 MVC) will compete in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament, hosted by Drake, beginning on Friday, April 22 in Des Moines, Iowa. The bracket and matchups will be announced by the conference office on Sunday.