Two Valparaiso University women’s tennis players were victorious in their opening-round qualifying draw matches in the ITA Midwest Regional on Thursday in Ann Arbor, Mich. Both Moira Silva (Houston, Texas / Houston Tennis Academy) and Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) started their day in the win column before falling in their second-round matchups.
How It Happened
- Silva started her day by extending her career-opening winning streak to 10 consecutive singles triumphs. She bested Bowling Green’s Hannah Neuman in straight sets, winning 6-2, 7-5.
- Silva incurred her first collegiate setback later in the day, dropping her second-round match to Danielle Willson of Ohio State, 6-2, 6-1. Willson has reached as high as No. 70 in the nation in singles and No. 18 in doubles in her collegiate career.
- Bertino also started her day in style, rallying from a set down to edge Western Michigan’s Kaitlyn Rogosch 5-7, 7-6(3), 6-4 in a tightly-contested match. That represented Bertino’s seventh singles success of the season.
- Bertino dropped her second match of the day to Northwestern’s Jennifer Riester, falling 6-3, 6-4 in Round 2.
- Valpo’s Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) incurred a 6-2, 6-1 setback to Notre Dame’s Akari Matsuno in the opening round.
The singles main draw will take place on Friday. Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) will participate after earning an automatic bid into the main draw. A link to live video and scoring is available on ValpoAthletics.com.