Valparaiso (6-17, 2-8 Horizon)
at Green Bay (20-4, 10-1 Horizon)
Game #24 - Thursday, February 19 - 7:00 p.m. CT
Kress Events Center (4,018) - Green Bay, Wis.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso travels to Green Bay to square off against the first-place Phoenix Thursday night before returning home for a three-game homestand. Reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Week Jasmyn Walker (9.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG) leads the Crusaders into the Kress Events Center where Valpo seeks its first win since March 1st, 1991.
Last Time Out: Jasmyn Walker tallied 18 points and 13 rebounds to help power the Brown and Gold past Milwaukee, 69-56, at the Athletics-Recreation Center last Thursday night. Classmate Dani Franklin pitched in 15 points while senior Jessica Carr posted ten points and five assists in the Crusaders’ second league win in their last three games. The 56 points allowed were the fewest surrendered by Valpo since November 20th.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Tommy Mantice (PxP), Renee’ Turpa (Color), Brandon Vickrey (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (23-62) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Green Bay leads the all-time series 32-4. The Phoenix have won 17 in a row dating back to February of 2008. Valpo is 2-17 all-time versus Green Bay away from the ARC. The Phoenix outscored the Crusaders 38-17 in the first half of their last meeting as they rolled to a 67-52 victory on Jan. 29th in Valparaiso.
- The Crusaders have allowed fewer than 69 points four times in their last five games. They accomplished that just four times in their first 18 contests.
- Valparaiso has yet to play a game this season decided by fewer than six points. The Phoenix have had five such affairs.
- Green Bay comes into Thursday’s game winners in 11 of its last 12 tilts.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- In last Thursday’s win over Milwaukee, @ValpoWBB committed fewer turnovers than its opponent for the first time since Dec. 9th (S. Dakota).
- With its win over the Panthers, @ValpoWBB matched last season’s win total in Game #23.
- @gbphoenixwbb enter Thursday night’s game with a 20-4 record, and a 10-1 mark in Horizon League play.
- @gbphoenixwbb is holding opponents to a 29.9% pace from three-point range this season.
- @gbphoenixwbb has won 20 games each of the past 16 seasons.
- @gbphoenixwbb has either clinched a share or won the Horizon League outright every year since the 1998-99 season.
- @gbphoenixwbb is 81-5 in its last 86 Horizon League contests.
- Dating back to 2008, @gbphoenixwbb has gone 96-8 in its last 104 regular-season games at the Kress Events Center.
- @gbphoenixwbb’s Mehryn Kraker leads the team in scoring with 12.8 PPG.
- @gbphoenixwbb’s Tesha Buck was the 2013-14 HL Freshman of the Year.
- Kevin Borseth is in his third season as head coach of the Phoenix.
- Borseth served in the same capacity at Green Bay from 1998-2007 before he took the head coaching position at Michigan (2007-2012).
- Distributed a career-high 11 assists at Milwaukee (Jan. 21) en route to her second double-double in seven games.
- Tallied career bests in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Averaging 11.8 PPG in Valpo wins, 6.3 PPG in losses.
- Last finished in double figures (14 points) versus GB (Jan 29th).
- Registered a career-high 21 points (9-11 FG) vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Had her first double-double against Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Scored 11 points in her Valpo debut vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Scored nine points off the bench last time out versus Green Bay.
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Accrued 11 points, five boards, four assists, and three steals in just 19 minutes of action at Detroit (Feb. 5th).
- Scored 34 points in a three-game span from Dec. 20th to Jan. 3rd.
- Has made a FG and doled out at least one assist in every game this season.
- Guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range at Northern Illinois (Nov. 20).
- Averaging 18.3 points in her last three games.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.2 PPG) and best field goal shooter (48.6%).
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (11/24, 12/15, 2/9).
- Posted her first double-double since 3/1/14 at Wright State (Feb. 7), tallying 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Returned to form at UIC (Jan. 27) where she scored eight points and squeezed ten boards.
- Paced Valpo in rebounding on ten different occasions in 2014-15.
- Leads team in rebounds (7.1 RPG) and blocks (9).
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (1/5, 1/19, 2/16).
- Owner of two double-doubles this season (Purdue-Calumet, Stetson).
- Set season highs in points (15) and rebounds (11) vs. Purdue-Calumet.
- Out indefinitely (injury).