Valparaiso (6-21, 2-12 Horizon)
at Oakland (11-17, 5-10 Horizon)
Game #28 - Thursday, March 5 - 6:00 p.m. CT
Athletics Center O’Rena (3,000) - Rochester, Mich.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Crusaders’ first stop on their final road trip of the 2014-15 regular season takes them to Rochester, Michigan to face the Oakland Golden Grizzlies on Thursday evening. Oakland, who will be celebrating its Senior Day at the Athletics Center O’Rena, can help its chances of avoiding the play-in game of the 2015 Horizon League Tournament with a win.
Last Time Out: Senior Sharon Karungi and freshman Jasmyn Walker both posted double-doubles, but Detroit shot 50% from the field to claim a 78-57 victory over Valpo on Saturday afternoon at the Athletics-Recreation Center. All five Detroit starters finished in double figures as the Titans moved into a tie for fifth place with UIC. Walker scored 18 points to go with 10 rebounds, tying her second-highest point total in Horizon League play.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Parker Gatewood (PxP), Brandon Vickrey (Color), Tommy Mantice (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (23-66) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Oakland leads the all-time series, 15-10. The Crusaders and Golden Grizzlies split last season’s regular season series, but Oakland has won five of the last six meetings overall. Valpo dropped this season’s first meeting, 71-54, at the ARC back on January 15th.
- No Horizon League team has played fewer home games than Oakland (12).
- The Golden Grizzlies are averaging 7.6 three-pointers/game. Seven of Valpo’s last eight opponents have made at least that many versus the Crusaders.
- Dani Franklin has yet to be held to fewer than 10 points in three straight games. She scored seven versus Cleveland State two games ago and four versus Detroit last time out.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- All six of @ValpoWBB’s wins this season have come after 5:00 pm local time.
- @GoldenGrizzlies enters its regular season finale with an 11-17 overall record, and a 5-10 mark in the Horizon League.
- @GoldenGrizzlies is the only Horizon League team to defeat Green Bay this season (70-67 on Feb. 4th at the Kress Events Center).
- @GoldenGrizzlies have three players averaging in double figures (Olivia Nash, 13.3 PPG; Elena Popkey, 12.4 PPG; Nola Anderson, 11.5 PPG).
- Nash has nine double-doubles this season (T-third most in HL).
- Freshman Sinclair Russell leads the league in blocks with 46.
- Through 28 games (5625 minutes), @GoldenGrizzlies (714) have made three more field goals than its opponents (711).
- @GoldenGrizzlies Jeff Tungate is in his 2nd season as head coach.
- Tungate served as associate head coach of the Oakland men’s team for six years before taking over the women’s program in July of 2013.
- Her next assist will be the 300th of her career.
- Distributed a career-high 11 assists at Milwaukee (Jan. 21) en route to her second double-double in seven games.
- Tallied career bests in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Comes into Thursday night’s game with 493 career points.
- Led Valpo in scoring Saturday with 15 points vs. Youngstown State.
- Registered a career-high 21 points (9-11 FG) vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Had her first double-double against Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Scored 11 points in her Valpo debut vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Scored nine points off the bench versus Green Bay (Jan. 29).
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Accrued 11 points, five boards, four assists, and three steals in just 19 minutes of action at Detroit (Feb. 5th).
- Scored 34 points in a three-game span from Dec. 20th to Jan. 3rd.
- Has made a FG and doled out at least one assist in every game this season.
- Guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range at Northern Illinois (Nov. 20).
- Valpo’s top scorer (12.6 PPG) and best field goal shooter (47.1%).
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (11/24, 12/15, 2/9).
- Averaging just one turnover per 31 minutes played.
- Averaged 13.0 PPG and 9.5 RPG last season vs. Oakland.
- Posted her first double-double since 3/1/14 at Wright State (Feb. 7), tallying 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Returned to form at UIC (Jan. 27) where she scored eight points and squeezed ten boards.
- Has tallied five straight double-doubles and owns eight overall.
- Shooting 52.7% from the field at home compared to 35.9% in road games.
- Leads team in rebounds (8.0 RPG) and blocks (11).
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (1/5, 1/19, 2/16).
- Owner of two double-doubles this season (Purdue-Calumet, Stetson).
- Set season highs in points (15) and rebounds (11) vs. Purdue-Calumet.
- Out indefinitely (injury).