The #23 Valparaiso University bowling team finished out the Crusader Classic from Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill. on Sunday, splitting a pair of matches in bracket play to finish the tournament in 10th place.
How It Happened
- Sunday’s action started with the final traditional team match before the start of bracket play. With an odd number of teams in the tournament field, the Crusaders’ bye came in Sunday’s traditional match. Valpo posted a team total of 867, led by a 215 effort from senior Savannah Carr (Buckeye, Ariz./Youngker).
- The Crusaders finished 10th in the team standings, leading to a matchup with Aurora to kick off bracket play. Valpo got out to a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven baker format, including a one-pin win in the opening game.
- Aurora claimed game three to close to within 2-1, but Valpo edged Aurora 208-205 in game four and then finished with a 189 effort in game five to earn the 4-1 victory.
- With the win, Valpo took on Lincoln Memorial in its final tournament match. The teams traded wins in each of the first four games as the match was even, 2-2, at the halfway mark.
- Despite their top baker game of the day in game five versus LMU, the Crusaders dropped a narrow 216-214 decision to fall behind, 3-2. Valpo rebounded with a 203-187 win – its third 200+ effort of the match – to send the contest to a decisive seventh game, but LMU claimed the win with a 197-172 victory in the final showdown.
Inside the Tournament
- The Crusader Classic title was claimed by #1 Nebraska, which went a perfect 10-0 prior to bracket play and then outlasted #2 Arkansas State, 4-3, to earn the bracket title.
- Nebraska’s Julia Bond was crowned tournament MVP, while Central Missouri (Samantha Roberts; Katey Furze) and Arkansas State (Jordan Richard; Brooke Wood) each had two representatives on the All-Tournament Team.
The Crusaders (36-37) will take next weekend off from competition before returning to action Friday, Mar. 2 at the Big Red Invitational, hosted by Nebraska.