The Valparaiso University bowling team faced a challenging slate of opponents on the first day of competition Friday at McKendree University’s Brunswick Bearcat Open in Fairview Heights, Ill.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Friday’s competition, contested in the five-game baker format, against #7 Maryland Eastern Shore, falling 1080-850. The Crusaders then dropped a 972-890 decision to #5 Sam Houston State.
- Valpo had a bye in the third match slot of the day due to an uneven number of teams in the tournament field and rolled an 879.
- The Crusaders narrowly missed taking down #4 Vanderbilt in the day’s fourth contest, falling by just two pins – 911-909.
- Valpo earned its first win of the tournament in the day’s finale as it posted its top score of the day, defeating #18 North Carolina A&T, 940-910.
- The Crusaders ended the first day of action in 15th place out of the 23 competing squads, tallying 4,468 pins over the five matches. Valpo is just 91 pins out of 12th position entering Saturday’s competition.
Valpo (6-11) will take to the lanes Saturday morning for five traditional team matches.