The Valparaiso University bowling team picked up three wins on Saturday as it continued competition at the Bearcat Hammer Open in Fairview Heights, Ill., hosted by McKendree.
How It Happened
- Competing in the traditional team format on Saturday, Valpo opened play with a 925-896 victory over #14 Lincoln Memorial, led by a career-high game of 215 from sophomore Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North). Junior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) rolled a 206 in the win, while sophomore Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East) added a 192 effort.
- The second match of the day brought an easy win, as Valpo downed Lincoln (Mo.) by a 944-738 final. Perez posted a 222 to lead the way, and Bertermann checked in with a 190.
- Valpo picked up its third consecutive victory in match three of the day, earning a 902-882 win over Drury. Perez again paced the Brown and Gold with a 219 game, backed up by a 195 from senior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) and a 191 by sophomore Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota).
- Valpo suffered its first loss of the day in its next contest, dropping a 995-848 decision to #RV Prairie View A&M. Forton led Valpo in that contest with a 209 game.
- A rematch with Prairie View A&M closed out the day in position round action, and while Valpo improved upon the first meeting, the day would end in a 901-874 loss. Forton rolled Valpo’s high game of the day with a 224 to finish out Saturday’s action, while Perez posted a 199.
- Valpo finished the day in 12th place out of the 16 competing teams with a total pinfall of 8,864 pins through two days. Perez led Valpo in individual average on Saturday with a 197.8 average.
Valpo (10-13) finishes out action at McKendree on Sunday morning with bracket play beginning at 8 a.m.