The Valparaiso University bowling team began its fourth weekend of competition in a row on Friday with a tough slate of opponents, facing three of the top-six teams in the nation in the first day of action at the Warhawk Classic in Kenosha, Wis.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the five-game baker format, against #3 Nebraska, falling to the Cornhuskers by a 1000-884 final.
- Valpo lost by narrow margins in each of its next two matches, dropping to #22 Maryville (973-939) and #6 Stephen F. Austin (916-905).
- The Brown and Gold earned their first win of the weekend with an 864-773 victory over Lincoln (Mo.) in the fourth match of the day.
- Friday’s action concluded with a 991-893 defeat against #4 Sam Houston State.
- Valpo’s pinfall of 4,485 on Friday has the team in 15th place in the 18-team field after the opening day.
Valpo (19-24) continues action from Kenosha on Saturday with a quintet of traditional team matches. The first ball is slated to be rolled at 9:25 a.m.