The #RV Valparaiso University bowling team picked up a pair of victories and received three strong games from sophomore Mirica Yancey (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) on Saturday as it continued the Big Red Invitational from Lincoln, Neb. with the second day of action.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day with a balanced team effort in a 933-812 win over Lincoln. Competing in the traditional team format, sophomore Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) led the way with a 199 game, while both senior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) and junior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) recorded 195 games in the opening win.
- Paced by a 213 effort from Lohse, Valpo made it two straight victories with an 893-877 victory over #15 Lincoln Memorial in the day’s second match.
- Yancey, making her first start of the day, and Forton posted matching 223s in Valpo’s third match of the day, but it wouldn’t be enough, as the Crusaders fell 1076-935 to #13 UW-Whitewater.
- Valpo came up shy of host #3 Nebraska in its next match, dropping a 950-919 decision. Yancey paced Valpo with a 211 game, while sophomore Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) rolled a 199 and Lohse a 190.
- Valpo ran into a buzzsaw in the day’s finale, as #16 Central Missouri rolled by far its best match of the tournament to defeat the Crusaders, 1150-965. Yancey recorded her second straight 211 game, while Lohse closed the day with a 208 effort.
- Yancey averaged a 215 over the three matches she started on Saturday, while Lohse posted a 197.8 average in starting all five matches.
- Valpo finished Saturday with a total pinfall of 8,392 pins through the first two days, good for eighth place.
Valpo (35-50) finishes out the Big Red Invitational with bracket play on Sunday morning.