The Valpo bowling team continued action at its first tournament of the season Saturday, finishing the second day of action at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Collegiate Bowling Invitational from Harahan, La. in 11th position.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Saturday’s action, contested in the traditional team format, against #7 Maryland Eastern Shore, but fell to UMES 987-936. Despite the loss, freshman Alexis Roof (Flint, Mich./Kearsley) posted Valpo’s top single-match score of the day with 212, while junior Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East) recorded a 204 in the opener.
- Valpo dropped its second match of the day, a narrow loss to #5 Sam Houston State, 919-893. Perez paced the Valpo effort in the second match with a 193.
- Valpo picked up its first victory of the season in match number three, taking down Grambling by an 830-650 final. Senior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) led the way in the win with a 189 game.
- Roof broke 200 for the second time on the day with a 202 in Valpo’s fourth match to lead the Brown and Gold, but it would not be enough as #19 UAB came out with a 981-895 win.
- Another narrow defeat against one of the nation’s best teams closed out the day, as Valpo dropped an 883-875 final to #3 Stephen F. Austin despite a 211 game from junior Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota).
- In her first collegiate tournament, Roof had Valpo’s top average on Saturday with a 183.2, while Lohse was right behind her with a 183.
- While Valpo is just 1-9 through two days of competition, it will enter bracket play as the 11th seed in the 16-team field thanks to a total pinfall of 9,079, just 44 pins out of 10th Valpo faced off against eight of the nine nationally-ranked teams in the tournament field over the first two days, but met just two of the six non-ranked squads.
Valpo (1-9) will begin the three rounds of bracket play Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. against the 12th seed, Alabama State.