The Valpo bowling program opened up its 14th season of intercollegiate competition on Friday at Youngstown State’s MOTIV Penguin Classic in Struthers, Ohio, as the Beacons posted a 3-2 record on their first day of tournament action.
How It Happened
- Competing in the baker format on the tournament’s first day, Valpo — which entered the season among teams also receiving votes in the NTCA top-25 poll — dropped a slim 813-809 decision to #20 Lewis in its first match of the campaign.
- The Beacons rebounded in their second match, taking down a St. Francis (Pa.) squad also receiving votes as well by a 932-917 final.
- That win was the first of three consecutive triumphs for Valpo, as the Beacons defeated Walsh, 911-790, and #21 Central Missouri, 942-914, in the next two match slots.
- Valpo ran into a buzzsaw in the day’s finale, falling 1112-938 to #6 Arkansas State.
- Valpo’s total pinfall of 4,532 pins in Friday’s five matches has the Beacons in ninth place in the tournament standings after the first day of competition.
Valpo (3-2) returns to the lanes Saturday morning at 9:25 a.m. local time, competing in five traditional team matches.