The Valpo bowling team kicked off hosting of its annual early-season tournament on Friday, as the Beacons sit in sixth place out of 17 competing teams after the opening day of action from the Valpo Bowling Classic at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer.
How It Happened
- Competing in the five-game baker format on Friday, Valpo opened the tournament against Marian, dropping a narrow 944-935 decision.
- The Beacons fell 1142-768 against UW-Whitewater in the second match slot.
- Valpo bounced back with a 934-845 victory over Alabama A&M in match number three.
- The Beacons took a tough-luck loss versus #20 Lewis in the fourth match of the day, as the Flyers earned a 1023-988 win. Valpo’s score of 988 was bested by only two teams in that match slot.
- The day concluded with a 920-867 setback versus #25 Newman.
- Despite going just 1-4 on the day, Valpo’s total pinfall of 4,492 pins has the Beacons in sixth place after day one of action and just 53 pins out of fourth position.
- #15 Maryville posted a perfect 5-0 record on Friday and tops the tournament field heading into Saturday.
Valpo (6-13) returns to the lanes on Saturday for the second day of the Valpo Bowling Classic. Traditional team matches begin at 9:35 a.m.