The Valpo Bowling Classic came to an end on Sunday with the last of three days of action, a day which saw the Beacons claim victories in two of their three matches to finish the tournament in fifth place.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened bracket play, contested in the best-of-seven Baker format, against Marian and averaged an even 200 on its way to a 4-1 victory. The Beacons earned wins in the first two games of the match before Marian took game three.
- Valpo rebounded with its high game of the day to pull ahead 3-1 in the match, rolling a 244, and then edged Marian by six pins in game five to close out the match win.
- The win sent Valpo into a matchup with #25 Newman. The Beacons took game three, but that was their only triumph in that showdown as Newman earned a 4-1 win.
- Valpo found itself in a rematch with Marian in the tournament finale and made quick work of the Sabres, winning four games in a row for a 4-0 shutout. The Beacons broke 200 in three of the four games, including a 206-204 victory in game one, and edged Marian by two pins as well in game three to finish the tournament in fifth place.
Inside the Tournament
- UW-Whitewater earned the team championship, beating Maryville 4-2 in the title match on Sunday.
- Newman’s Addyson Schiffelbein earned Tournament MVP honors, as she averaged 211 over Saturday’s five traditional team matches. She was joined on the All-Tournament Team by Addison Jacak (Marian), Brianna Schmidt (Maryville), Corynne Bean (Kentucky Wesleyan) and Jazmin Koeberl (Marian).
Valpo (12-15) takes next weekend away from competition before returning to the lanes Nov. 11-13 at the SFA Ladyjacks Classic in Kenosha, Wis.