The Valparaiso University women’s soccer team battled toe-to-toe with Florida Gulf Coast University – seven-time defending ASUN champions – Friday afternoon in Boca Raton, Fla., but a goal by the Eagles midway through the first half stood up as the Crusaders fell 1-0.
FGCU’s Silvana Gordon found the back of the net 25 minutes into the match for the deciding goal.
How It Happened
- Valpo earned a pair of corner kicks inside of the first two minutes and had a trio of shot attempts inside 18 minutes, but the game remained scoreless.
- Gordon scored what would be the game’s lone goal right at the 25-minute mark of the first half.
- After each side tallied just three shots apiece in the first half, Valpo pushed with seven shots – three on goal – and three corner kicks in the second half, but was unable to find the back of the net.
Inside the Match
- Valpo ended the match with a slight 10-9 shot advantage over FGCU (2-1-0) and put four shots on goal to the Eagles’ two.
- The Crusaders also surrendered just one corner to FGCU while earning five corner kicks of their own.
- Freshman goalkeeper Kezia Gesell (Winnipeg, Manitoba/Glenlawn Collegiate Institute) made her collegiate debut in goal and made one save.
Valpo (2-1-0) takes on host Florida Atlantic Sunday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. CT. ValpoAthletics.com will have a link to live stats, while a pay link for live video will be available via FAU’s website as well.