The Valparaiso University softball team failed to get going Tuesday afternoon at home in a doubleheader against a strong Central Michigan team, as the Chippewas dealt the Crusaders a pair of defeats by finals of 6-0 and 8-0.
How It Happened – Game One
- CMU scored a pair of two-out runs in the top of the first to take the lead for good.
- Sophomore Carly Trepanier (Manteno, Ill./Manteno) singled to lead off the bottom of the first and moved up to second with one out, while Valpo put two on via walks with one out in the second, but could not score either time.
- A solo homer from Rachel Vieira in the third made it a 3-0 game, and the Chippewas closed out the scoring with three runs in the top of the seventh.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Just as in the opener, Central Michigan scored in its first turn at bat.
- Junior Lanie Callaghan (Elburn, Ill./Kaneland) drew a leadoff walk in the second and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, but would be stranded there.
- A two-run homer by Vieira highlighted a four-run third for CMU, and the Chippewas scored two in the fourth and one in the seventh to cap the scoring.
Inside the Games
- The Crusaders were limited to just three hits over the two games, as Callaghan picked up an infield single in the opener and sophomore Jaymee Lawton (Goodyear, Ariz./Desert Edge [Utah Valley]) tallied Valpo’s lone hit in the nightcap.
- Valpo was unable to advance a runner past second base in either game.
- Freshman Lindsay Zdroik (Elgin, Ill./St. Edward) tossed 6.1 innings in the opener and took the loss to fall to 1-2, while fellow rookie Emily Richardson (Oak Park, Ill./River Forest) started the nightcap and suffered the loss, moving to 1-1 on the year.
- Junior Kenzie Grossmann (Perry, Mo./Mark Twain [Morehead State]) had a strong relief outing in the nightcap, throwing three shutout innings.
The Crusaders (22-15, 9-6 Horizon) return to league play this weekend with a three-game series at Detroit Mercy. The series is slated to open with a single game on Friday at 1 p.m. CT. Links for live stats will be available via ValpoAthletics.com.