The Valpo softball team opened the 2021 home schedule Friday with an MVC doubleheader at the Valpo Softball Complex, but visiting Indiana State came away with a pair of victories, topping Valpo by finals of 13-3 and 10-0.
How It Happened – Game One
- The Sycamores scored six runs in their first time at bat.
- Senior Addi Burke (Mesquite, Texas/John Horn) connected on a one-out double in the bottom of the first and came around to score on a two-bagger from junior Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) with two outs.
- Junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) delivered a two-out, two-run triple in the bottom of the second to make it a 6-3 ballgame.
- A three-run homer for Indiana State restored the margin to six runs in the top of the fourth. Valpo loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the frame, but was unable to cut into the Sycamore lead.
- The Sycamores added four runs in the fifth for the final margin.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Moeder led off the bottom of the first with a single and moved up to second on a sacrifice bunt, but was stranded there.
- After the first six Indiana State hitters were retired in order by freshman Caitlin Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy), the Sycamores took the lead with a two-out, two-run double in the top of the third.
- Indiana State added single runs to its lead in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, and then scored five in the seventh to cap the scoring.
Inside the Games
- Friday’s contests were the first at the Valpo Softball Complex since May 4, 2019.
- Milkowski went 2-for-3 in the opener and picked up a hit in the seventh inning of the nightcap for a three-hit day.
- Moeder and freshman Alexis Johnson (Schererville, Ind./Lake Central) each recorded hits in both games Friday, while Burke reached twice in the opener with a base hit and a hit batter.
- Freshman Madison Wathen (Floyds Knobs, Ind./Floyd Central) made her first career start in the circle in the day’s first game.
- Kowalski struck out seven Indiana State hitters in the nightcap.
Valpo (5-17, 1-7 MVC) closes out the three-game series against the Sycamores on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. Live stats will be available via ValpoAthletics.com.